Tel: +2721 555 0951
south africa immigration permanent residence visa south africa immigration linked in south africa immigration twitter south africa immigration
Simplifying Immigration to South Africa
next prev

Discussion Board

The Latest Immigration News Hot Off The Press ( in BITE SIZE Chunks)

Join the discussion below

Immigrating to OZ: What to Bring to Australia and what to Leave Behind.

by admin,  May 24 2013 15:58 PM

As long as the items are THOROUGHLY cleaned (recommend steam cleaning if possible) you are OK to bring it with you to Oz and I would recommend that you include them in your container with your furniture (if you bring in new or on the plane, you may be subject to duties). Remember to clean children’s toys as well.  Do your research for the cost of moving and you should be able to get competitive quotes on this.

You can bring any wine, spirits etc into Australia (and you should bring your wine collection!). Make sure it is in your container, and you will pay duties on these items. With wines – list all the bottles, include vintage, brand, and approx. value of the wine (what you paid for it) – makes calculating the duties easier.

If you have a really state of the art mobile (cell phone) – bring it over and just get a new sim card here. In most cases however, you get a phone here free with any contract.

If you have a PC or fax or any office tools you want to bring over – do so (and bring them with your container – not separately.  But do not go and buy these items to bring them over – they are generally very competitively priced in Australia.
As a rule, it is simply not worth bringing your vehicles (of any nature) to Australia – the import duties and taxes are very expensive.
Vehicles must generally comply with Australian standards before customs will release them – and this too could end up costing a small fortune.

As for actual furniture, generally good quality furniture is expensive in Australia – including good quality bedding etc – you do get very cheap and reasonably priced items as well at several stores, but it is still worth the cost of bringing over as much of your furniture and goods as you can.  And finally with your electrical appliances, you will most likely need to replace the plugs on them. Decide if it is worth the hassle and cost to do this.


Quota Work Permit for South Africa

by admin,  May 20 2013 10:47 AM

The Quota Work Permit is approved for a pre-determined numbers of foreign workers who have the required qualifications and at least 5 years of experience in a specific position. In applying for this permit, the prospective employer in South Africa is under no obligation to advertise the vacancy and the skilled worker does not need a job offer to obtain this permit. The first step is checking the current list to see if your profession is scarce. See .



If you are on the list and have at least 5 years of experience, then you can apply. These are typically valid for 5 years and are renewable. If offered a permanent position while on this permit, one may apply for Permanent Residency.  A Quota work permit has an indefinite duration as it remains valid as long as the person stays employed within the same category or profession it was applied and approved for. Within 90 days of admission, the holder of a quota work permit shall submit to the Department of Home Affairs confirmation of having secured employment within the category or class contemplated and, within every 12 months thereafter, confirmation of continued employment within that category or class. The holder of a quota work permit may change employer provided he or she remains employed in the same occupational category. If you hold these skills and would love to live and work in sunny South Africa, contact us.


De Facto Partner Visa Requirements Australia

by admin,  May 13 2013 10:05 AM

Many of our Australia Permanent Residency Applicants going through as skilled workers worry that they won’t be able to bring along their partners if unmarried. There is a way for the partner to go through as a De Facto Partner.

Certain people wanting to settle in Australia permanently as the de facto partner of an Australian sponsor are required to be in a relationship with that sponsor for at least one year before they can apply. Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships. Partners who are currently not living together may be required to demonstrate a high level of proof that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis. Generally speaking this means showing documentation to support this.

New World Immigration can assist you to determine if you will qualify and can guide you through the process. If awarded this visa, the validity is indefinite, one can have working rights, and it leads to Permanent Residency.


Please contact us at or .


No Job Required to Immigrate to Australia

by admin,  Apr 26 2013 12:25 PM

If you are starting your research about wanting to move to Australia in order to seek employment for the long term, you do not need a company offering a job, but need to prove that you have the skills and qualifications necessary to work in an occupation on the Australian Skilled Occupations List. This skilled list is updated and displays the most in demand professions at the top of the list and classifies them into schedule 1 or schedule 2 professions. 

There are other criteria as well. If you possess skills currently in demand on the Australian labor market, you also need to pass a test by scoring a minimum number of points. Points are awarded based on your level of English language skills, age must be under 44 for points, work experience, and level of qualifications, and skills that your partner might bring to the country can also add to your points. You need 60 points to qualify.

We recommend contacting a company like New World Immigration , to find out if you qualify. If you do qualify based on the points system, you must next complete a Skills Assessment.  Your skills will be assessed either using a paper based system or a practical exam or sometimes both. You are showing that your qualifications and experience match their criteria for that profession.  Once your assessment is approved, you are put into a pooling system and the Australian government then invites the candidates with the highest number of points to lodge a visa application. A normal application should take about a year to a year and a half to process.

Differences between State Sponsorship and Regional Sponsorship Visas

by admin,  Apr 23 2013 10:14 AM

It is often confusing as to the difference between the 190 State Sponsorship Skilled Visa and the 489 Regional Sponsorship visas .If you could not pass the points test by achieving a points score of at least 60 then these routes will give you the extra points.  State will give you 5 extra points and Regional will give you 10 extra points. You will still need to nominate an occupation included in the skilled occupation list; to have your skill assessed by a qualified assessing authority to determine if one’s skill is suitable for the nominated occupation; and meet the English language requirements, and to be less than 50 years old at the time of the SkillSelect invitation issuance.

The main difference with these visas is location and time of obtaining permanent residency. Holders of Subclass 190 State Sponsorship visa can live and work in any part of the state in Australia where they need your skills. With the 489 Regional visas, one needs to live and work in the designated post codes in the Region where your skills are in highest demand.

To obtain Permanent Residence, the holder of the State Sponsor visa receives Permanent Residence as soon as they enter Australia. They just need to live and work in that state for 2 years time. For Regional Sponsorship, you agree to live and work in that region for a minimum of 2 years and are then able to apply for Permanent Residency under the 887 visa.

Immigration and Knowing Your SA Work Permits

by admin,  Apr 22 2013 09:00 AM

The General Work Permit is not for “general” work at all. You need a job offer from a registered company in a niche position that you qualify for.  You will need to show that you possess the qualifications for the position and the company needs to show that they attempted to hire an SA Citizen first and could not fill the position. 5 years on a General Work Permit makes you eligible to apply for Permanent Residency.

Similar is the Corporate Work Permit but it is the Employer who holds this permit and can hire MANY foreign workers and put them on this permit.  If one holds the Corporate Permit for 5 years and the company offers a permanent position, then one can apply for Permanent Residency.

Quota Work Permits require 5 years of relevant work experience in your field and you must be on the current Quota Skills Shortage list. If you receive a permanent job offer from the company, you can apply for Permanent Residency immediately. Once awarded this visa, you are given 90 days to find work.

Exceptional Skills Permits require you to have publications in your name within your field of study. You can apply for Permanent Residency if you qualify for this permit and you can change jobs on the same permit.

Intra Company Work Permits require a company branch overseas and a branch in South Africa. These are more short term for 2 years and cannot be renewed one after the other.  These will not lead to Permanent Residency.

Contact New World Immigration so we can put you on the right path to finding the suitable work permit for you or your potential employees.  There are other ways to obtain working rights if you hold a Spousal or Life Partner visa. Give us a ring and we will walk you through the process.


Sarah Farthing
SA Work Permit Specialist

(021) 555 0951 or sarah(a)

New Venezuelan President Wants to Do Business Here

by admin,  Apr 16 2013 13:30 PM

President Jacob Zuma offered his congratulations to the new Venezuelan President, Mr, Nicolas Maduro this Monday.  Zuma is focused on strengthening ties between the two countries. What does this mean for each country? Venezuela is interested in joining up with South Africa to participate in the BRICS summit. This is the group of upcoming countries Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa that look for ways to grow business ties among the countries. If Venezuela could be involved, they would look primarily at the mining industry, technology, and cultural relations. This would bring more jobs to South Africa and be beneficial to both parties. In the past South Africa and Venezuela have worked together in the Petroleum belt of the Orinoco River. Their focus was on upstream oil, energy, and gas.

Back in 2008, the South African president at the time Thabo Mbeki stated that relations with Venezuela had   "taken on a strategic character ... The relationship is real, actual and practical. We spoke of a strategic partnership, which means we will learn from each other."

It is hopeful to see that President Zuma is taking on a similar role to strengthen the relationship. If you are considering coming to South Africa to start a business or work as a skilled worker here, you should have confidence in this country that is trying to do the right thing and have more opportunities available by reaching out to countries with new representation like Venezuela.