Tel: +2721 555 0951
south africa immigration permanent residence visa south africa immigration linked in south africa immigration twitter south africa immigration
Simplifying Immigration to South Africa
next prev

Discussion Board

The Latest Immigration News Hot Off The Press ( in BITE SIZE Chunks)

Join the discussion below

Qualifying Criteria for the Intra Company Work Permit

by admin,  Jun 4 2013 10:30 AM

Workers with a company with an overseas branch and a branch in South Africa might be able come over to South Africa on an Intra Company Work Permit. It can even be through a subsidiary or affiliate of the main company.  The period for which this permit is given is for 2 years.  It will require a Letter from the company abroad confirming that the applicant will be transferred to the branch of that company or an affiliated company situated in South Africa. This permit is nice in that it allows for workers to be sent through from branch to branch without the hassle of the general work permit.

This permit does not lead to Permanent Residency and is not renewable. The same worker can apply for this permit more than once though.  There is a fee for us to assist with this permit and a government fee. The Company will need to specify the occupation and capacity of work that the worker will be doing and specify that it won’t be longer than 2 years. If you need to bring workers in and think your company will qualify for this, feel free to contact us and we will assist.

Add Working Rights to a Spousal or Life Partner Visa

by admin,  May 31 2013 09:31 AM

You might be confused as to whether or not you have working rights once you have a Life Partner or Spousal Visa. Both of these fall under the Relatives Temporary Permit category, but you can still add working rights. It doesn’t come automatically though. You first must have a job offer from a company. You need a work contract or a letter of motivation stating that the company wishes to hire you upon the outcome of you getting working rights added to you visa.

Once you have the job offer, you can contact us and we will provide you with a short, but new list of documents to fill out and we will lodge an entirely new application to revise the current spousal or life partner visa with the work endorsement. This requires your passport again and a small fee and the final result will show a 3 year visit visa that states on the bottom of the form “right to reside with SA spouse or life Partner and work at so and so company.” The reason it comes back as a visit visa is that Home Affairs doesn’t allow relatives category permits to have working rights.

If you change jobs, you need to undergo the process again as the working rights follow the job. If you need assistance or are not sure if you qualify to add working rights to your visa, give us a shout at New World Immigration.


Immigration and Knowing Your SA Work Permits

by admin,  Apr 22 2013 09:00 AM

The General Work Permit is not for “general” work at all. You need a job offer from a registered company in a niche position that you qualify for.  You will need to show that you possess the qualifications for the position and the company needs to show that they attempted to hire an SA Citizen first and could not fill the position. 5 years on a General Work Permit makes you eligible to apply for Permanent Residency.

Similar is the Corporate Work Permit but it is the Employer who holds this permit and can hire MANY foreign workers and put them on this permit.  If one holds the Corporate Permit for 5 years and the company offers a permanent position, then one can apply for Permanent Residency.

Quota Work Permits require 5 years of relevant work experience in your field and you must be on the current Quota Skills Shortage list. If you receive a permanent job offer from the company, you can apply for Permanent Residency immediately. Once awarded this visa, you are given 90 days to find work.

Exceptional Skills Permits require you to have publications in your name within your field of study. You can apply for Permanent Residency if you qualify for this permit and you can change jobs on the same permit.

Intra Company Work Permits require a company branch overseas and a branch in South Africa. These are more short term for 2 years and cannot be renewed one after the other.  These will not lead to Permanent Residency.

Contact New World Immigration so we can put you on the right path to finding the suitable work permit for you or your potential employees.  There are other ways to obtain working rights if you hold a Spousal or Life Partner visa. Give us a ring and we will walk you through the process.


Sarah Farthing
SA Work Permit Specialist

(021) 555 0951 or sarah(a)

Quarantine for Pets in Australia

by admin,  Apr 18 2013 11:27 AM

For expat families wanting to bring their dogs or cats to Australia, you must understand the systems and pre-book your pets with the proper quarantine stations in each state of Australia. You must contact the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Forestry to make sure your pet is current on their vaccinations, has been micro chipped, and make sure your pet is from an approved country, and is an approved breed to bring into the country. The conditions will be different for disability dogs.

The length of time of quarantine depends on which country your pet is coming from.  For example, Cats and dogs from the Republic of South Africa are required to complete a minimum of 210 days in quarantine. Cat and dogs from Hawaii only require 30 days. Dogs and cats from New Zealand require 0 days. Each country has a category number and you can check that length of time on the DAFF website.

Research has shown me that the psychological impact of putting your pets in quarantine is much worse for the human owners than for the pets. The quarantine stations offer state of the art care, will accommodate older pets and even pets with medical conditions. You can visit your pets and you can mail approved toys. Pets are exercised and given play time.   Stories come back that pets are spoiled rotten and have plenty of one on one time. You will speak to their caregivers and can give them specific instructions. Your pet can have their favourite blankie as well. They adapt quickly to new situations.

 The cost involved depends on the length of stay and how many pets you have. 

Horses can be brought in if from approved countries and rabbits and specific bird species only from New Zealand.  My advice is to plan things well in advance and don’t feel too bad about putting your babies in quarantine. It will be worth it in the long term.